A stay in hospital is often a drastic and painful experience for children and adolescents who are sick or who have had an accident. Art-therapy gives them the possibility of expressing themselves and their suffering with creativity and fantasy. This eases communication with their relatives and with the team treating them.
Art, music and dance therapies are innovative, gentle and non-invasive therapeutic approaches. They incorporate a multi-disciplinary concept for treatment and are tailored to each individual patient, and they promote and accelerate the healing process.
Art, music and dance therapies support the patients specifically and help them to:
- express themselves in ways other than words
- distance themselves from their pain and suffering
- gain strength and to confront the illness
- handle the hospital experience
- strengthen self-esteem
- improve the quality of life
For sick premature and new-born babies, the abrupt separation from the mother and the stay in the highly mechanised surroundings of the neonatology department is a traumatic experience.
Music therapy is an individual and appropriate way of stimulating and communicating at a time when other means of contact and therapy are not possible. It helps to:
- calm breathing and the heart rhythm
- sleep deeper
- improve perception
Music therapy promotes
- the development of a sustainable child-parent relationship
- the development of the brain
- later physical and pre-lingual development
Wide range of application
These therapies are used in cases of acute, chronic and psychosomatic illnesses, after accidents or surgery, for women with pregnancy risks and their vulnerable foetuses.
Many studies substantiate the beneficial healing effect.